Thursday, March 23, 2006

Where to begin?

Okay, so like most people in my age bracket, I had sworn off the whole "blog" phenomenon. I mean, seriously...did we really need one more version of an internet soapbox? Between chat rooms, message boards, myspace.com, and the endless number of personal websites dedicated to countless worlds of one, it makes you wonder whether people even had opinions prior to 1993 or so. When I was a kid, I remember trying to be as cool as Doogie Howser by starting a computerized diary on my Commodore 128. Now, I guess one just puts it on the internet, and it's a blog. How self-important of us.

(You're waiting for the part where I take back all I've said and embrace this fantastic new form of human communication, aren't you?)

Well, I guess it starts with Kenya. With my impending trip this Sunday with a group of fellow 4th year medical students to PCEA Kikuyu Hospital outside of Nairobi, I began brainstorming ways to keep in touch with a large group of folks without having to flood email boxes with photos and blabbering. Instead, people can just click a link and view my photos and read my blabbering without worrying themselves to death about disk space quotas, e-mail etiquette, and feeling pressure to reply knowing how fragile my ego is.

Perfect!

So I hope you enjoy your visits here. When I get back from Kenya, maybe this can turn into my own little residency diary full of baby-catching, sleep deprivation, and political musings....exciting, eh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yo, Jerr; just drop my name when you get there, it's like the key to the entire country. You know, we be tight like dat! Those my people!!!!

But seriously, I only have one request. Postcard(s)!!!! I collect 'em, you can get 'em, I don't want to have to break knee caps on your return. I'm gonna miss you, so put lots of pics on this thing so that I know you're actually DOING something, and not just mooching a free vay-cay!!!

smokey5